Roe Tip #2

November 23, 2014 by Roe

Roe Tip #2: Read, Read, Read

As much as I hate to admit it, school made me hate reading. It really did. It became something I loathed doing; So time-consuming, never-ending, and then I’d have to write a paper about it? Gimme a break!

It was a shame too because according to my parents I was reading at two years old; Couldn’t get enough of it. My dad was teaching me Hooked On Phonics before I could even form sentences, so I got an early start. Reading was one of my favorite things to do. I even had a bunch of interactive reading computer games for my early 90s Mac computer that I had such a blast playing.

But over and over the repetition continued, from middle school to college, to the point that if and when I had any free time I’d spend it hanging out with friends, watching TV, playing video games – Anything, really. Reading for pleasure? Why would I even subject myself to that? I think I’ll take a nap.

But once I graduated college, a wave of freedom washed over me. Now I didn’t have to report to anyone. I wouldn’t be getting graded or judged on my analytical skills, vocabulary, or understanding of the material. Now I could choose what I wanted to read, for my own benefit – and report to no one! It felt so good to know that.

At the time, I was just getting into Joseph Campbell and all of a sudden I had a thirst for knowledge, a thirst to absorb more. I spent my entire summer reading (something I rarely ever did in the past), and haven’t slowed since.Photo on 2014-11-23 at 16.59 #4

So check out my “Book Club” tab above where you can see what I’m reading now, what I’ve read, and what I look forward reading in the future. Check out some of books at your local library, go to Barnes and Noble or your local bookstore! Commit and be glad you did.

Reading keeps my mind sharp, seems to improve my writing skills, and has allowed me to continue my education even though school is no longer in session.

I think learning new things is so refreshing, especially when it can help you better yourself and the way you live your life.

Positive vibes +++

7 thoughts on “Roe Tip #2

1. Sam says:

During my year here I’m not taking any classes–just going to the field and doing lots of research/reading scientific articles and preparing for my A exam (proposal defense). Thus, I suddenly have more time now — and I’ve been absorbing book after book!! It is SO wonderful to read real books again and not stare at my computer screen. I have a 2 hr long commute, round trip, which makes for perfect reading time when the train isn’t too packed. Recs:

– Full Tilt by Dervla Murphy
    – One Thousand Splendid Suns
    – Gone Girl
    – Underground Girls of Kabul (currently reading)
    – Behind the Beautiful Forevers

Liked by 1 person

2. Sam says:

Oops – pressed post too quickly. Totally can relate to your thoughts here, especially your last two lines. And I will check out your book club list 😀

Liked by 1 person

• Roe says:

No worries. I will def have to check those books out!! Are books in English easy to find where you are?

• Sam says:

Yeah. I actually order from Indian Amazon (amazon.in) and they are delivered 😀 perks of living in the big city… At the train station there are little shops that sell books both in Hindi and English too but I don’t usually have time to take a peek when I’m on my way to/from work!

• Roe says:

Very interesting!! Good for you! That’s so great! So proud of you, girl! You’re doing big things! Planning on doing anything special for Thanksgiving on your side of the Prime Meridian this week? 😉

• Sam says:

Hahhaha sadly not yet… Ovenless and not all Western foods have made it here (that I am aware of) which makes cooking something “traditional” a bit difficult… Might try to make a skillet apple crumble thing or something! & Thanks, Roe 😀 I’ll be back in December for xmas and new year’s, let’s try to meet up/catch up if possible!!

• Roe says: