August 28, 2014 by Roe
This week I’ve resolved to apply to at least one job a day until I get something. I know that sounds kind of pathetic, but I’ve promised myself so I gotta do it.
Beforehand I would do like 6 a day or a few every 2 weeks or something and then sometimes, for days at a time, none at all.
I hate doing it. I really do. But I feel like I have to.
The thing that drives me most crazy is when you attach your resume AND your cover letter AND your references AND your letters of recommendation, and they ask you to basically RE-TYPE EVERYTHING you’ve listed. Nothing gets me more heated. Like wtf, I just GAVE it to you! Quit have your computer scan for keywords you’re making me type in (for this ridiculous position I probably won’t get anyway) and just look at the damn piece of cyber-paper I gave you (that took an astronomical amount of time to squeeze onto one legible page, anyway)! It feels so insulting after awhile.
And I get it – Companies get inundated with applications. How are they supposed to get through it all? Yeah, I’m a Libra. I see both sides of the coin here. It’s just when you’re actually living one side, it gets really frustrating to understand the side of the other.
To be honest, the way things are going I don’t know the universe wants me to have a job just yet. I’m depended on for a lot right now, especially in my family life: Nonna care, meals, cleaning, laundry, etc. I’m luckily in a position where I don’t need to be 100% self-reliant right now. So aside from kicking myself whilst filling out job apps and taking care of my grandmother and parents’ house these are some other things I’ve been doing:
- Walking – at least 45 minutes a day. At the track, around town, to and from the library
- READING! I’m really rediscovering my childhood bookworm roots. I’m on a mission to finish all the books I never got the chance to read in school (and maybe reread the ones I liked). Just finished The Perks of Being A Wallflower and gonna move on to Baruch Spinoza’s Ethics tomorrow – Wish me luck!
- eBay – I’ve designated myself as the official “clutter remover” of my household. I think so far I’ve been making about $100 a month reselling things that have just been sitting in my house (with my mom’s permission, of course)!
- Blogging! (Duh.) Every day I wake up with the intention of blogging, sometimes it gets done, sometimes not. But I do TRY. Today was a success.
- Limited TV time – I’d hate myself if I did nothing but watch TV all day. (I sometimes did that as a kid and really hated myself afterwards. I hate wasting time) But I DO think it’s important to watch news, educational things and/or quality TV a.k.a TV with good scripts and actors. So NO reality junk or game shows or Jerry Springer. Recently I’ve been watching The Big C. So good, you guys! V upset it got cancelled too. Laura Linney is da bomb
I’m still writing songs and baking when the weather cools down sometimes. I also finally learned how to use my grill! So things are okay for me. They really are. I am being useful. I am doing something with my life. It’s just not in a 9 to 5 format. At least not now. Maybe that day will come soon, but not now.
Are there any other 20-somethings out there who are having a similar job experience (or lack thereof)? Let me know in the comments. Let’s chat 🙂